Friday, November 15, 2013

Hi I'm Ismene and I'm Obedient!

Antigone came to me, and asked if I would help bury our brother's body, against the order of Creon. I did not know what to do, or what to say! I do believe it is a shame that our beloved brother is not permitted to have a proper burial, but "to defy the state or break her ordinance I have no skill!" (79). I fear breaking the law, and do not want to suffer the consequences. It is the logical decision and as much as I loved our brother, I think it best to let this go. It is not something I view as worth the terrible consequences that could accompany this act of opposition. "Shall we not perish wretchedest of all, if in defiance of the law we cross a monarch's will?" (59-61). I am afraid I just cannot do that.

What would have become of me, if I broke this law. People would surely think poorly of me and I would die and be "abhorred" and "dishonored" just like my parents (50). I do not want to die, and be remembered that way. So I will stand firm in my place. "I perforce obey the powers that be. 'Tis foolishness, I ween, to overstep in aught the golden mean.'" (66-68). I much prefer to remain quiet and unnoticed –unpunished. Antigone was stubborn and had her mind made. She ran off determined to give our brother a proper burial. I am content staying on the sidelines, and not getting involved in such foolish behavior. I wish I could help, but it is best that I don't in this situation.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent title, and expert display of submissive inaction! I felt like throwing up as I read this, so you must have been doing something right. The thought process felt exactly like how Ismene would think, and it makes it difficult to see how she possibly could have made such a 180 in wanting to die with Antigone later in the play. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lol'd at the title. You did a really awesome job of portraying Ismene and her submissiveness and adherence to the overly patriarchal society. I hated Ismene so much, like, she's worried what people will think of her? THIS IS YOUR FLIPPIN' BROTHER THAT JUST DIED. GET OVER YOURSELF. Then again, I guess she knew her life was at risk. I don't know, Ismene, I'm just not feelin' you. So, nice job of making me hate her even more. Seriously, your personification of her was spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Dani! You really showed how Ismene's submission and deference influenced her actions. Like, wow, you won't even do it for your own brother? Come on... I think what makes us so riled up about it is the fact that she comes back later saying that she had been with Antigone all along. Anyway, great diction and integration of quotes Dani!
    (P.S. Lol at Madi- "I felt like throwing up as I read this, so you must have been doing something right.")

    ReplyDelete