Friday, October 18, 2013

A Rather Contradictory Ginger

As I stepped out of my TARDIS, I saw a girl with unruly, long red hair. She was sitting on a bench, in a park, drawing a detailed portrait of a man. As I took a few steps closer, I noticed that the picture she was drawing, was a picture me. On her notebooks she had doodles and sketches of little cartoon aliens and spaceships. Papers spilling out in every which way, mostly drawings, but the occasional peice of homework would slip out between the rest. She had everything very put together, in the most disorganized way possible. The wind pulled her hair in multiple directions, but it seems she just agreed to let it do its' own thing. I walked over and sat down next to her, though she did not seem to notice, never losing focus on her drawing. She seemed very concentrated, but every so often she stopped and stared at her shoes, with the most absent minded stare. Almost as if she was in a completely different universe. She was pulled out of her apparent day dream when I said hello. Avoiding my eyes, she replied with a friendly hello, but in the most distant way. Her personality seemed to contradict itself quite a bit. I asked her for her name, and at that moment- she realized who I was. Her eyes got huge and her mouth dropped open slightly. Her cheeks turned red as she frantically stuffed away the drawing, which coincidentally was of the man sitting next to her. We began to chat, and slowly the shy and distant red head seemed to become significantly more vocal. She had a plethora of thoughts and opinions to share, but still avoided eye contact most of the time.

I invited her to travel through time and space with me, and she obviously said yes.

My trusty companion loved adventure, and danger, and the adrenaline rush, and being absolutely reckless. However at the same time she wanted the feeling of safety, she didn't like being vulnerable, and she didn't like the idea of dying. On the other hand, she was not at all scared of dying. She could quite possibly be one of the most contradictory people I have ever traveled with. She was incredibly disorganized, but had everything in the right order. She was shy, but strangely talkative once you got her going on something. Confident yet self conscious. Absolutely mental, but also relatively sane. She wanted nothing more than to see the whole world, but never wanted to get out of bed.

6 comments:

  1. I really liked this Dani. I enjoyed the story part at the beginning. I can imagine you actually doing all of this which is good haha.
    I think i especially liked it when you had the Doctor list out your contradictory characteristics. I could hear the voice of the Doctor, but also your voice through it.
    All-in-all I really liked it Dani (: Have fun in the TARDIS, don't be late for school haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani!! This was such a great representation of you!!! I can DEFINATELY see you doing this ;) really great job girl!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani! This is really creative and neat! I can see you doing all of these and it is a great portrayal of what you are really like! Good Job Dani! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think putting your story in a Doctor Who setting was genius! You made it more personal that way. I think you did lovely describing yourself as a complex character! It's so contradictory and yet it makes total sense to me. You also did a substantially good job at indirect characterization. Keep up the writing. You're an awesome writer Dani.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani, if I worked for the BBC I would most certainly cast you as the next companion....maybe the next time there's an actually age appropriate and attractive Doctor. Your creativity,adventurous spirit, occasional departure from reality into the world of aliens and time travelers, and equal amounts of shyness and vivaciousness are among your best qualities. This was extremely well written and a very accurate representation of all of the wonderful contradictions that make up my best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Great "voice" and creativity here Dani-- two of your consistent strengths when writing.

    Would have loved a spice of dialogue and more indirect characterization at the end; did catch a few typos as well. But love the details about your disorganized organization and the creativity with narration. Nice job. :)
    13/15

    ReplyDelete