Monday, January 20, 2014

Reflection thingy or whatever this is

Throughout 2013, something I have thought about is the path I am taking through life, and how crucial it is to take a path that is enjoyable and beneficial to myself. It is my worst nightmare to wake up every morning at 45 years old, and drag myself to a job that I hate, and come home and the most exciting part of the day is watching jeopardy. It is important to take a path that is for you, instead of taking a path that was meant for someone else, in order to have a certain image or fit in or whatever.

Another thing I have though about is the need for something bigger than myself. Everything in this world is so fleeting. It's inevitable, but feelings, and relationships, and money, and jobs are all fleeting. None of those things even last. So it has been heavy on my mind how fleeting the world is and how it is important to have someone or something bigger than yourself to believe in. (ew how cheesy).

Something else that has been insanely prominent within the past year is descision making. With high school ending and the next chapter starting, there have been a LOT of big desicions to make. It is scary that basically the rest of our lives depend on how well we handle things as high schoolers. Making the wrong desicion or just choosing one option over another can change everything. That's pretty scary, but also really exciting. 

Lastly, I have thought a lot about how very small I am in this vast universe. This though always makes me desire to do something memorable, or do something big. Something that will make people remember me. It's a wierd thing for me to want, being one who has either always been pushed to the outside, or has always preferred to be on the outside. The idea of being the center of attention scares me but the idea of leaving a strong impression makes me happy. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, you win for coolest blog layout/background!
    Likewise, I feel the same way about all of this as you do. Decision making and future plans are terrifying. Thank you for your cheesy honesty. Seriously, sometimes the most important things have been said thousands of times... so don't be insecure about saying them again! Also, thanks for acknowledging that a really crucial part of life is being happy. So often people avoid being happy because they want to be perceived as pious or selfless or, even worse, they take a dead-end job or settle for a boring career. Those people die miserable. I am confident that you will never experience that. Your future is incredibly exciting and I can't wait to see all you are going to accomplish! I admire your passion, individuality, bravery, and honesty!

    **Nice try with the Brown suggestion.I would get eaten alive at a school like that**

    ReplyDelete
  2. 15/15
    Your opening reflection is so on point Dani-- it's easy to buy into the lie that there's one right way of pursuing the American dream, but it's simply not true-- you have to find your own way. We're going to get into that a lot more in the next two weeks. I see your signature gumption in this blog-- my first impression of you was formed during that obstacle course your sophomore year, when you went up against the guys and rocked that race, messing up your shoulder in the process. You are such a combination of thoughtful reflection, courage, and counter-culture, and that's reflected again here. I have faith that, however that combination manifests itself, it will leave a worthwhile mark on the world-- especially as you continue to seek out answers to those big questions.
    <3

    ReplyDelete